Race Rules Casebook

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Race Rules Casebook

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm

*** FLAGS MODERATOR ASKING TO MAKE THIS A STICKY (FOR A WHILE AT LEAST) ***

As part of onging discussions about how to apply ISAF Rules to SLSailing, Armano Xaris had a good idea:
We should accumulate a 'Caselog' of interesting examples from various races, peoples opinions, and how they were resolved.
I know Liv posts interesting race examples for discussion from time to time, and so do many others; I do as well.
However, at least for me, 3 months after the post goes up I can't easily find that discussion anymore...
and its impossible to compare it to similar examples in other posts.
(Frankly I can't find my own posts much of the time... (anyone seen my car keys?))

I know that several people are interested in figuring out better ways to apply the ISAF RRS to SL;
I'm not trying to undermine or replace that effort here. However,
I do think that while that more grandiose effort goes on, Armano's Caselog idea is a good one.
It would give us a common thread to collect sailor's posts on rules calls they find interesting.

One big point, though:
Please don't post cases that you're actively arguing about with the RD. This isn't traffic court,
and RD decisions in most SLSailing races are the last word, and need to be the last word.
This thread is a good place to take past cases and talk a bit about them,
so we have a common understanding about what should happen in the NEXT race.
That can't come from one or two self-empowered pundits, but it might well emerge
from a multifaceted caselog discussion that deals with real SL race examples.
I'll post a few simple ones in the next couple days, and please feel free to add your own. :-)

(I know there was a rules thing glorf posted a while back I want to add... damn if I can find it again.... ) :-)
Jane Fossett

Re: Race Rules Casebook

Postby Bea Woodget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:42 pm

deleted
Last edited by Bea Woodget on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Maybe a separate forum section for this rules casebook idea would be better. That way, a new thread can be started for each situation that is offered for discussion, and subsequent comments can go into the same thread.
Admin

Postby Bea Woodget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by Bea Woodget on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Bea Woodget wrote:Sure. Great. Wonderful.

You may remove the thread about "SLSA structure/Think tank blah bla". It was supposed to start on open discussion about few basics:

who is volunteer
how can we do it
What do we need
what tools do we need

What does this have to do with discussing particular racing siutations and how the rules were applied, or could have been applied?
Admin

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Bea Woodget wrote:Congrats Jane, your request are like orders, and your dreams come true within 5 minutes here, and without any need for a discussion with others.
Congrats Nomad also.
Also congrats Jane, this wonderful idea makes the think tank that I proposed 2 days ago useless. Less work for me.
Ok, it is only the 3rd "sticky" thread about rules. But what a great idea that starting a casebook when some are still discussing about RRS vs RRSSL.
What about 2 casebooks, and 2 sticky threads? One using RRS, the other one using RRSSL?
It is a great idea regarding the tool: a thread on this forum, with flat discussion, no tree structure or subtopic, is certainly the way to go. It will help you to find your keys, after 10 cases and discussions mixing with each other. No doubt.
You always do the right and best choice, without any sort of afterthought . Astonishing.

No no Bea, I think your idea sounds fine, but it's not what I'm suggesting.
No drama, ok?
I'm a sailor too, and I'm just trying to find my car keys here.
Peace.
Jane Fossett

Postby Bea Woodget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by Bea Woodget on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bea Woodget

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks, Bea.

New section has been created, an announcement about it has been posted, and this thread has been de-stickied.
Admin

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Sounds good; that works fine for me too.
Jane Fossett

Postby noodleqt exonar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 am

Makes good sense to me.
A think-tank for testing the undecided issues and for providing guidelines, recommendations and that sort of things.
A case-book for the already decided issues.
I like. Both will make RDing and racing easier.

The concept of authority is having a hard time in SL. As said elsewhere the people and the clubs cannot seem to join forces and agree on much. The idea of putting references to rules, casebooks and what not in the NOR seems to be a way to circumvent the effect of the disabled yacht clubs.

Oh, lets not forget the real casebook; Just in case ;-) Seriously, we can do with an addendum to the real casebook; I suppose, we are just gonna add a few pages with SL specialities.
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
noodleqt exonar

Return to Racing