Official PROTEST HEARING: One World Cup Round 4

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Re: Official PROTEST HEARING: One World Cup Round 4

Postby Elbag Gable » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 am

BUZZZZ who the hell or what is BUZZZZZ LOL...?????
Elbag Gable
Vice-Commodore, Mango Yacht Club
Fruit Islands
Elbag Gable

Postby Kentrock Messmer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 am

Elbag you need to get out more. Joro Aya is one of the best sailors in SL. She is a Buzzz :D
Kentrock Messmer

Postby Xi Larnia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 am

I wouold not mind the ruling if not for the very last part of it.

That the points are to be added up and divided among the 4 for fairness.

This puts each competitor getting 2.5 points... equal to somewhere between second and third place.

What does this say to me and Mango Yacht club.. who at noon had to endure the Skipper crashing twice, the crew crashing once, and the boat breaking so they had to sit a metre from the finish line trying to get somebody to sit on the boat? How is this fair to us and to the team who came in mere seconds after us in 4th?

I would more "fair" for the entire "heat" be thrown out and no teams in the 6am slot get "points" at all.
Be Careful of your Words,
For someone will agree with them.

Be Careful of your Conduct,
for someone will imitate it.
-Lieh Tzu
Xi Larnia

Postby Slanty Uriza » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 am

Kentrock Messmer wrote:Elbag you need to get out more. Joro Aya is one of the best sailors in SL. She is a Buzzz :D

Right, but *what* is a Buzzz?
Slanty Uriza

Postby MarkTwain White » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:18 am

Xi Larnia wrote:I wouold not mind the ruling if not for the very last part of it.

That the points are to be added up and divided among the 4 for fairness.

This puts each competitor getting 2.5 points... equal to somewhere between second and third place.

What does this say to me and Mango Yacht club.. who at noon had to endure the Skipper crashing twice, the crew crashing once, and the boat breaking so they had to sit a metre from the finish line trying to get somebody to sit on the boat? How is this fair to us and to the team who came in mere seconds after us in 4th?

I would more "fair" for the entire "heat" be thrown out and no teams in the 6am slot get "points" at all.

Thank you Xi for some level headed thinking. I chose the even scoring solution because it is one I have experienced personally in real life. If, as it appears, that this solution is not good for the overall OW Cup I am certainly opening to reopening the hearing and open to suggestions.

Jane, what would you suggest to be the best way to deal with the situation? My thought was the the job of getting the exact people together for a re-race would be putting a heavy nearly impossible burden on you given that the next round begins today.
SIM PRESERVATION PROJECT -- http://simpreservation.com
MarkTwain White

Postby Bea Woodget » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 am

As far as I know, regatta points system is not in use during OW2011, but ranking position, with 8.1 8.2 in case of ties after the 8 rounds.
Seems hard to change it now.
That's why I suggested a simple slight change in OW thread:
Bea Woodget wrote:Jane, could you consider the following: (quickly done, to be double-checked)

In the case of abandoned races, sail-offs etc., the event shall be re-sailed on the first available day.
If no suitable day can be found the race may not be resailed.

To be compliant with your initial scoring scheme (no matter I agree with), one could imagine following adaptation:

All participants must race a minimum of 5 (five) scoring races (that will constitute a series) in order to be eligible for overall rankings.
A boat is not scored when DNC or when race is abandoned.
If five (5) or more races are completed in a series each boat may drop (1) one race.
If six (6) or more races are completed in a series each boat may drop (2) two races.
If seven (7) or more races are completed in a series each boat may drop (3) three races. (that the case for boats concerned by the abandoned race)
If eight (8) or more races are completed in a series each boat may drop (4) four races. (initial scoring scheme)
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Postby Xi Larnia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am

MarkTwain White wrote: Jane, what would you suggest to be the best way to deal with the situation? My thought was the the job of getting the exact people together for a re-race would be putting a heavy nearly impossible burden on you given that the next round begins today.

true.. but I am sure that sometime during the next week it should be possible to get the crews to the boats back together for a race... even if it meant an 8am race on saturday at the Farragut Race line
Be Careful of your Words,
For someone will agree with them.

Be Careful of your Conduct,
for someone will imitate it.
-Lieh Tzu
Xi Larnia

Postby Orca Flotta » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 am

Xi Larnia wrote:8am race on saturday at the Farragut Race line

LOL, Xi, wasn't that exactly what got this whole dilemma started?
Orca Flotta

Postby noodleqt exonar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 am

Did anyone bother to say thanx to MarkTwain, Jane, Orca and the rest of the round four team. Not just for the work, - but also for all the extra work with protests and appeals?

Well, thanx... It is not an easy job.

Noodle
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
noodleqt exonar

Postby Slanty Uriza » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:28 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:Did anyone bother to say thanx to MarkTwain, Jane, Orca and the rest of the round four team. Not just for the work, - but also for all the extra work with protests and appeals?

I didn't
Slanty Uriza

Postby Jane Fossett » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:57 am

Slanty Uriza wrote:
noodleqt exonar wrote:Did anyone bother to say thanx to MarkTwain, Jane, Orca and the rest of the round four team. Not just for the work, - but also for all the extra work with protests and appeals?

I didn't
OMG; that explains why I forgot to say
"You're welcome." :-)

Add:
You're welcome anywayz, Slantz!
Jane Fossett

Postby Slanty Uriza » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Jane Fossett wrote:
Slanty Uriza wrote:

I didn't
OMG; that explains why I forgot to say
"You're welcome." :-)

Add:
You're welcome anywayz, Slantz!

OMG; I'm not sure, but isn't this your first post without a silly illustration?
Slanty Uriza

Postby Jane Fossett » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Slanty Uriza wrote:OMG; I'm not sure, but isn't this your first post without a silly illustration?

grrrr no!
[It's the second...]
[I think, anyway...]
Jane Fossett

Postby Suzi Siemens » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Whatever we may-- or may not-- have gained from this "Appeals Process"

IMHO....

It Was Not Worth It.

The "Appeals Process" should be REMOVED from the rules at the earliest possible moment.

Before it "teaches" us anything else LOL
Suzi Siemens

Postby noodleqt exonar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 am

Obviously I do not agree.
Suzi, would you care to share how you reach that conclusion?
What is your perceived gain / work ratio on the round 4 appeal?
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
noodleqt exonar

PreviousNext

Return to Racing