Simplify the Rules!

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Simplify the Rules!

Postby Naeve Rossini » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:38 am

The debate about simplifying the rules rages on in RL, too, it seems:

http://www.yachtsponsorship.com/2011/03/is-sailing-too-complicated/

This all stemmed from a Russell Coutts statement about the rules for the America's Cup, but it highlights some interesting things that I think this author misses.

His examples point toward definitions, which really doesn't matter if you have a name for an "eagle" (in golf) or not.

What does matter are the rules that affect the gameplay, perhaps even whether or not there are protests. =)
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Re: Simplify the Rules!

Postby Jane Fossett » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:58 am

Naeve Rossini wrote:The debate about simplifying the rules rages on in RL, too, it seems:

http://www.yachtsponsorship.com/2011/03/is-sailing-too-complicated/

This all stemmed from a Russell Coutts statement about the rules for the America's Cup, but it highlights some interesting things that I think this author misses.

His examples point toward definitions, which really doesn't matter if you have a name for an "eagle" (in golf) or not.

What does matter are the rules that affect the gameplay, perhaps even whether or not there are protests. =)

Haha; thank you for pointing to that article. Both the original post and the first comment seem pretty polemical.
I think the ISAF Rules are an important foundation, but the Rules evolve, and there are formal and informal Rules adaptations for different circumstances and scenarios.
I think some modification of the ISAF Rules makes sense for SLSailing, but I think we're all trying to figure out what exactly that means.

Bottom line: I think RDs and Regatta Organizers should do what suits them best.

In the bigger picture however, I think that very soon the number of ardent online sailors will outnumber RL sailors by several orders of magnitude.
It's a good time to enjoin the online sail community in discussions over Common Rules standards for Virtual Racing.

Having said that, I guess my biggest worry is that such a discussion would precipitate a histrionic flame war of 'religious' proportions.
It shouldn't. It should be smart, fun, and sensible.
I'm cautious about it; I don't want anyone burned at the stake in a thread over their views.
(least of all, me! :-) )
Jane Fossett

Return to Racing