Club Weeklies vs BIG FAT HUGE CUP EVENTS

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Re: Club Weeklies vs BIG FAT HUGE CUP EVENTS

Postby Orca Flotta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 am

XXXXX XXXXXXX wrote to me in PM:
He's just "noise." Don't let him overshadow the actual "signal."

/me wakes up, suddenly, feeling a disturbance, looks around ... "Huh? What was that? Thought I heard a noise ... did someone stray off topic again? Did someone purposely misunderstand everything only so they can spread some more wrong accusations? Did someone try to trick us with some cheap propaganda and spam us with self-promotion? Ugh, naaaw, was probabably just the neighbour's badly trained dog barking at the moon." ... and goes back to sleep again.
Last edited by Orca Flotta on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orca Flotta

Postby Orca Flotta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 am

Liv Leigh wrote:Some of us may like to have graded WildCat races, I suppose, given the number of ACA races, making one extra graded might be in place too.
I think the Quest 2M is quite promising and I'd think it interesting to have some races with that boat. Once there are some events with it, including it in ranking should be a small step.

The Q-2M is my Monday boat since a few weeks. I didn't rank it yet because I feel it neeeds to be established a bit more first. And WildCat is already a ranked class I believe. Ooooh that reminds me I still must post the last results to forum.
I didn't see more racers coming from the ranking, rather the contrary. Many new racers deem it as too serious and don't dare racing in ranked events. I've noticed to that some people turned into literal assholes as soon as the ranking system came into place.
Orca Flotta

Postby Bea Woodget » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 am

deleted
Last edited by Bea Woodget on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Postby Don Berithos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 pm

I keep our Grading events light in nature with given speed of the boats .That being the ACJ35 wildcat , I Belive this prudent , Really with this boat a penality turn does not in any Nature Put you out of the race. Our event Is Posted already on The calander Its ever Sunday Main rd will be Roan Blackburn And Don Berithos, Its Starts 12:00 noon May be adjusted for daylight savings , Main Location Dire Strait But we are trying the line Line round Robin Project for now , Last week Was Arabian Line . This week will Be Sarcussia Spelled wrong I I Iknow in front of Tradewinds. Ive saved results from all the Wildwind Races so far Bea. So its GGYCSL/WILDCAT (ACJ35) (G)( F) :P ( W) STands for Fun Learning the rules grading RACE weekly event,
When The ACJ 45 Comes out , We will Alternate the weeks . Thats why it says 35/45 on the calendar, Thanks , i not sure i know Livs interested And Perhaps Auntie Gemma,
thanks Don and Roan . :arrow: :P :arrow: :wink:
Don Berithos

Postby Naeve Rossini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:26 pm

don, this is not a promotion thread. Please keep your event announcements to the appropriate location. They're not relevant to the discussion at hand. That you have events is relevant; the details of individual events are not.

What you're doing is akin to having a dinner discussion about the taste and quality of doughnuts and being told repeatedly when Krispy Kreme puts out a fresh batch o glazed doughnuts.

Back on topic...

Orca, I ran afoul of you once when I scheduled a cup event over your regular time slot. I learned a lot from that and I hope that others after me will also learn from it. Due respect to the weekly club events should be given when scheduling cup events. Either contact the existing event holder and work something out or schedule around it. I can assure you that any future events I work on will be done in cooperation with the incumbent event organisers.

As for your query about what an RD should do when a large cup event is running... I say go on as usual. You never know who may show up. There are only a limited number of people who compete in the cup event and many more who don't. They may still want to race. My general stance is to show up and, if no one shows up after 10 minutes, cancel. If my usual sailing spot is heavily used for training for the next round of the cup, I'd consider moving to another line. It's not hard to be line-agnostic.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Don Berithos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Just answering Beas reply simple i did make note at that bottom, and I like French pastries anyway ,Several events have been noted here as well not just mine .Puff pastry is skilled and mastering baking essential donuts are not ,
Don Berithos

Postby Liv Leigh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Bea Woodget wrote:Again, both Q-2M and Wildcat (or is it ACJ45?), and more... are ready to go for SLSA Rankings. Spreadsheets are ready, and we are just waiting for a request by RDs, providing us with: Class/Date/Time/Frequency (weekly, bi monthly...). It looks like an unattainable demand, so much work, isn'it?... The only pre requisite we have is to have at least 2 events (RDs/YCs) involved for each class.

I am waiting for my RD's confirmation on when the Quest 2M races should take place. When I know that, I will send you the paper. Same applies for the WildCat, whose RD is not in-world at the moment due to the tragedy in Japan.
Liv Leigh

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Naeve Rossini wrote:... being told repeatedly when Krispy Kreme puts out a fresh batch o glazed doughnuts. ...

Is there an i-phone ap for that?

Naeve Rossini wrote:... It's not hard to be agnostic.

Well... unless doughnuts are involved...

ADD:
Off-topic rhetorical question:
I just installed the latest version of Microsoft Office Pro Plus.
Why isn't my life suddenly better?
Jane Fossett

Postby Naeve Rossini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Microsoft products make your life more productive.

Apple products make your life better. There's an app for that. ;)
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Orca Flotta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 pm

I just installed the latest version of Microsoft Office Pro Plus.
Why isn't my life suddenly better?

Microsoft products make your life more productive.

Apple products make your life better. There's an app for that. ;)

@ Jane & Naeve:
... and Open Office/Libre Office is as good as Microsoft and Apple products combined and is available for free and is upgraded all the time and just makes you smiling all the time because it gives you the wonderful feeling of doing the right thing.
Orca Flotta

Postby Orca Flotta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Q-2M and WildCat results are up in forum, so you can feed them into your grading database.
Orca Flotta

Postby noodleqt exonar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 am

@Orca... Sadly RL has the same problem. People seem to have less time for racing. They are busy golfing, working or whatever-ing. This does not help us in SL, but my point is that the problem of fewer people at the weekly races is not SL specific. In RL there is a tendency towards paid sailing. Even kids aged 15 now require wages to do a few hours of training, or they simply don't show. The notion of giving something back to the community is - at best - fading away. This is very sad. It seems focus is shifting from doing "your thing" into doing something that will make you a media-star.
I do not have a solution to this; I am just observing a change.

@Naeve... In RL we do just what you say; We rotate the RD job. No-one wants to RD every week, but we all wanna race; If we are 100 boats, the RDing isnt too bad... at the most it is once every second year, provided we race every week. We don't. We race during summer. So effectively we RD once every fourth year. That works quite well. I too am having a hard time committing to a certain timeslot every week; Rotating the RD job would make it much easier for me to give something back.

Me, I wanna race; I have little use of all those mega-events with television, laywers and starlets. As in RL, huge events drain the forces of the community. After a huge event - such as Danish Open (MR) - everybody just wants to go home and do something else, because it is sooo much work, and sooo little about sailing. However, I think once in a while a mega event can be fun. Being the workforce behind a mega-event, however, I gotta say... I have done that enough times to know it feels very much like hard work and no pay.

About those timeslots...
I do not get how one can own a timeslot. In RL we try to set up events without disturbing other events, but if I am into - say X79 racing, then I won't give a doodle about where and when the Elliots race, - as long as they are not on the X79 course. If competition is a good thing, then different classes fighting for people to show in a certain timeslot is good, no? Ofcourse, it resembles harassment, if someone repeatedly sets up competing events.

This is just me saying SL is soo much like RL :-)

Cheers,
Noodle
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
noodleqt exonar

Postby Orca Flotta » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:54 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:It seems focus is shifting from doing "your thing" into doing something that will make you a media-star.

Sign o' the times. :roll:

In RL we do just what you say; We rotate the RD job. No-one wants to RD every week, but we all wanna race; ................Rotating the RD job would make it much easier for me to give something back.

Wonderful idea, in theory. Now I just need to figure out a way to involve the member base of "my" club without pissing them all off or having to spend the next feww weeks under permanent IM bombardement and listening to their complaints (in USA/UK: whining and moaning) and excuses.

About those timeslots...
I do not get how one can own a timeslot. In RL we try to set up events without disturbing other events, but if I am into - say X79 racing, then I won't give a doodle about where and when the Elliots race, - as long as they are not on the X79 course. If competition is a good thing, then different classes fighting for people to show in a certain timeslot is good, no? Ofcourse, it resembles harassment, if someone repeatedly sets up competing events.

The difference between RL and SL is simple but huge: In SL we can have a whole fleet of race boats all for the equivalent of a portion fish'n chips. So I have an Elliot 6m, I have my X-79, I even have a bunch of traditional AC yachts, an Opti, a RC44, Open 60 and whatnot. Like most SL sailors I wanna race them all. So, what now?

I might have an idea ... will chew on it while I'm out doing groceries and maybe post a proposal once I'm back ... maybe ... hmmmm ...........
Orca Flotta

Postby noodleqt exonar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 am

Simple, Orca... life is a box of chocolates... uhm... U get sick if you eat them all. Pick a few really good ones and enjoy them.
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
noodleqt exonar

Postby Orca Flotta » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:10 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:Simple, Orca... life is a box of chocolates... uhm... U get sick if you eat them all. Pick a few really good ones and enjoy them.

Yes, that's exactly what I did from my first days of SL sailing anyway. I didn't jump at the ACA or the Fizz hype when they came out. I stuck to my Tako and Tetra. Anyways, it was wrong to use myself as example in the post. I never had any trouble of deciding which races I should attend and which to pass. But, again, I'm not a good example since I was never much into racing anyway I still fail to see the personal benefit of doing any vehicle based activity that brings me back to the starting point after a few minutes.
My reasoning is still valid: most of SL sailors aren't specialized in one boat exclusively, so indeed when there are races on for 2 different boats at the same time, they might miss out ... and so does one of the races since it suffers from a smaller fleet then. And exactly for that reason our forfathers came up with that really realy clever idea to invent the calendar.
Orca Flotta

PreviousNext

Return to Racing