Club Weeklies vs BIG FAT HUGE CUP EVENTS

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Re: Club Weeklies vs BIG FAT HUGE CUP EVENTS

Postby Caitlyn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:25 am

The Cup events had the advantage of consistency. It was easy to get accurate information, it was there every week, and you could pick a time that fit best into your schedule.

It is a good bit harder to get accurate information for the weekly events. I'm at less than 50% for this week. At two events that were on this forum's calendar for this week, I was the only one that showed up, including the person listed as the race director. Two went on as scheduled, Don's Wildcat races and Astro's ACA33 race. One event was listed on the calendar as an event for one boat, and when I got there, it was being sailed with another boat. While it's completely understandable how these things happen, they happen too often, and hurt everyone. Lots of the events start at the same time, so if one is a no-show, you also missed another that you could have attended instead. Many events happen in the day, which is great, as it includes more people that way ... but, an American probably needs to schedule meetings around that, or take a lunch break at the time of the race ... and when it's a no-show, well, you get the point. I would imagine the same holds true for Europeans, who perhaps stay up late to sail in an event, only to be the only one to show up.

I'm not sure if there is a way we can get some improvement ... but surely we can do better than 40% accuracy. I'm willing to volunteer time to help ... assuming that would be any help, or perhaps there is a calendar I don't know about that is more accurate.
Caitlyn

Re: Club Weeklies vs BIG FAT HUGE CUP EVENTS

Postby Naeve Rossini » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am

Ultimately, the in-world SLSA geoup is where the authoritative stuff seems to happen. The calendar seems to be a guideline. It would be great if we could have the calendar accurate.

I think we should also start using SL's event calendar. It could help bring in new sailors.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Previous

Return to Racing