SLSA Rankings

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Re: SLSA Rankings

Postby Naeve Rossini » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 pm

I think the appropriate person to talk to is Garrick. He'd be the one with the answers.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Liv Leigh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Naeve Rossini wrote:I think the appropriate person to talk to is Garrick. He'd be the one with the answers.

Good, then he can answer me and with me a number of RD's out there that want to know what's going on:
It has been 3 weeks to the day since the announcement was made that, in Bea's absence, a new person would take care of the SLSA Rankings. Both as a sailing organiser and sailor I have been a bit worried over the past 2 weeks at the lack of any news in this forum on the state of the project. There has been no post from either Bea Woodget, the creator of the rankings system, nor has there been a post by Garrick Diesel, the person who supposedly took over the project 3 weeks ago. There has been no confirmation on any post by organisers of SLSA-graded races that their results will be processed.

The maintenance-sensitive nature of the rankings system requires the person in charge of it to stay on top of things. For instance: the 'Q-factor' that plays in a number of the tables, is dependent upon the ranking of the previous month. Getting behind with 'homework' can pretty quickly create a giant mess in this system, something that will be hard to clean up, especially in a transitional state.

3 weeks without communication.. is not the way to give me, or any other organiser of graded events, the feeling that someone is actually 'on top of things'.
I'd like to know what's going on here.

- Is the project actually transferred from Bea to Garrick?
- Will there be a rankings publication end of December?
- Is there anyone responsible for communication with graded race organisers?
- When will we hear from this person?
Liv Leigh

Postby Nomad Zamani » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 am

Posted by Bea Woodget to the SLSA in-world group on 22nd December...

--------------------------------
I got tens...hundreds....billions of offline messages, so, don't worry:
SLSA RANKINGS WILL BE UPDATED BY DECEMBER 31st, on dotCOM, as usual. More explanation soon on .net.
Meanwhile, merry Christmas to everyone and take care
--------------------------------
Nomad Zamani

Postby Garrick Diesel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:36 am

Dear all.

Just to clarify matters, I'd like to say that although an announcement was made regarding me taking over the rankings, this has not in fact happened at this point. With Bea's RL move and internet connection issues, it has not been possible to hand over the necessary spreadsheets and historical data to me to this point in time.

I do hope that Bea's Notice to the SLSA group, and kindly reproduced (above) by Nomad Zamani, has gone some way to reassure you all that rankings will indeed be published as normal on the last day of December, and will continue to be processed, collated and calculated going forwards.

I apologise for an confusion caused by the lack of communication, and thank you all for your patience.

Garrick.
Garrick Diesel

Postby Liv Leigh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:12 am

TY Garrick for Clarifying. I hope we'll be able to keep the trust in the system alive. I've heard plenty of concerned people amongst the RD's I contacted on the matter. They felt a bit left in the dark before this week.
@Nomad: I've read that notice. It was sent after I contacted Bea in email and Garrick inworld.
Liv Leigh

Postby SLSA Rankings » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:21 am

Garrick Diesel wrote:Dear all.

Just to clarify matters, I'd like to say that although an announcement was made regarding me taking over the rankings, this has not in fact happened at this point. With Bea's RL move and internet connection issues, it has not been possible to hand over the necessary spreadsheets and historical data to me to this point in time.

I do hope that Bea's Notice to the SLSA group, and kindly reproduced (above) by Nomad Zamani, has gone some way to reassure you all that rankings will indeed be published as normal on the last day of December, and will continue to be processed, collated and calculated going forwards.

I apologise for an confusion caused by the lack of communication, and thank you all for your patience.

Garrick.

Agreed, some explanations from Bea:

"Sorry for such confusion, my move didn't go exactly as planned... :) The initial plans were:
- order a new adsl link for my new place (beginning of december)
- meanwhile, my ISP told me he will keep my old adsl available till end of december...
(this way, I would have had time enough to transfer all data to Garrick...)
but what happened is:
- my new adsl has been available only by december 23rd
- my old adsl link went down by december 5th... :( Thanks to my F*.... isp)
No more means for me to provide Garrick with the information and datas...

Well, now troubles are over, I am currently working on spreadsheets for the december update of rankings, and make them clean enough to provide Garrick with all the help he may need for the future.

Results of all "graded" events for December have been already computed, I may access to dotCOM again, so Rankings Tables should be available online by January 2nd (give me a couple of days to recover from 31st night :)
To make it simple, btw I also switched from PC to a new iMac, so I am a bit less confortable with new tools for a while, and still I have lot of data to transfer from the PC to the Mac...)

CU Soon everyone, wishing you all the best for 2011

Bea Woodget
Bea Woodget on behalf of SLSA Rankings - Web site
SLSA Rankings

Postby Slanty Uriza » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:48 pm

SLSA Rankings wrote:To make it simple, btw I also switched from PC to a new iMac...

My condolences...
Slanty Uriza

Postby SLSA Rankings » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:05 am

:D That's fine: now reaching 50 fps using Viewer 2.4 in ultra graphic mode with all cursors to the right on a HD screen...

Updated rankings for December are now published on dotCOM.
SLSA Rankings

Postby SLSA Rankings » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 am

Don Berithos wrote:As per beas request Im formaly adding VCC 82 To the grading Calander GGYCSL . rd roan blackburn /don berithos /SLVT courses and Lvcc Courses In direstrait and Sanfranciso sims .Thank you .

I apologize Don, I had not seen this post before, but a group notice (announcing Vcc 82 grading events) and few results posted here caught my attention.

Grading Vcc82 events and other class of boat (Leetle, T-One, ...) :

On dotCOM, http://slsailing.com/slsa-rankings/slsa ... -criteria/:
How to add graded events to the Sailing Rankings
Graded events could be selected in collaboration between race organizers and the SLSA Ranking workgroup (to be announced soon). All community members, race organizers and YCs are invited to contribute and suggest regular boat races to be included in the Sailing Rankings. The selected events should provide a fair distribution of graded events per boat class and time slot.
The selection of graded events should be a revisited in regular intervals; nothing is set in stone – as the sailing comunity’s racing programs are bound to change over time. The basic idea is to select some of the already existing events in SL Calendar, and to adjust as needed.

For my own, I am 100% in favor of adding new class of boat and thus to extend coverage of the Rankings System. The more events we have, the more the rankings make sense. This is true also for a given class of boat: If this class of boat is only raced at a unique location, at a unique timeslot, then it sounds like a local club championship, and has few to do with the Rankings System, which is intended to be fair for all sailors, all clubs, with a "balanced" choice of racing opportunities. This is not easy to do, as few RDs are volunteer to host Graded events, and already some sailors complain that there are too few opportunities to race this or that boat at this or that time. So starting with a unique event for Vcc82 won't help us to make things better on that point.
Anyway, I will make a new spreadsheet for Vcc82, in order we may have a first ranking for that boat available end of january.
Meanwhile, could you check if it is possible to increase the amount of graded events for that boat, maybe at 2 different timeslots, in 2 different locations/YCs ?
Other question: does this event replace the former weekly ACA V3.0 Graded event hosted at the same time? (this is to update the calendar).

Garrick Diesel is now in charge of the Ranking System, and will be operational once we have been able to coordinate. (My own fault so far). So consider this post as my personal point of view, as Garrick has a say on this topic too.
SLSA Rankings

Postby SLSA Rankings » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 am

While the previous question is still relevant, we are working on some improvements for the SLSA Rankings.

We will read and take into consideration all the improvements that you can suggest. If we have some ideas, yours are welcome.

An example of a specific question:
after rereading the calculation principle (http://slsailing.com/slsa-rankings/slsa ... lculation/), what do you think regarding the use of the factor "Event Grading Multiply (F)", which is not used so far ?

If we don't plan to go back deep on the general principle, any incremental improvement is possible. This may involve the promotion, the "show" and the media coverage, a little more festive activities around the events (eg quarterly trophies) the range of class/boats, calculations...

TY
SLSA Rankings

Postby SLSA Rankings » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 am

2011/02/01 updated SLSA Rankings are available @ http://slsailing.com/slsa-rankings/slsa ... -rankings/
SLSA Rankings

Postby quirky torok » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 am

I do believe its time the ACA33 2.53 were retired from the active rankings. Of course the results should remain to be seen in an historical context, but I think its clear that the 2.5x has now been retired and put out to stud.

Roll on the 3.1 and possibly the 4.0 and who knows what else :)
Q

"It would not be possible for Noah to do in our day what he was permitted to do in his own...The inspector would come and examine the Ark, and make all sorts of objections."
Mark Twain
quirky torok

Postby SLSA Rankings » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 am

quirky torok wrote:I do believe its time the ACA33 2.53 were retired from the active rankings.

ok, we have two possibilities here:
- either I may remove the spreadsheet (but keep the "monthly champions" table, which is empty for the last months for the 2.53 but may be considered as an archive),
- or we can just wait: all results being multiplied by zero after 12 months (time factor).
SLSA Rankings

Postby Liv Leigh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:59 pm

For historical purposes I'd like to see the old ACA 2.53 rankings back if I feel like, but it is clear that it is inactive as race class and replaced by the 3.0.
Liv Leigh

Postby Bea Woodget » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Liv Leigh wrote:For historical purposes I'd like to see the old ACA 2.53 rankings back if I feel like, but it is clear that it is inactive as race class and replaced by the 3.0.

Yes, it is still available, with Jeremia as champion from march to April, then Armano took the first place... forever :)
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

PreviousNext

Return to Racing