SLSA Rankings

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:00 am

Crossposted from dotCOM:

SLSA RANKINGS Ready for Launch !!!
SLSARankingsBanner.jpg

A little while ago, the possible structure of a new Sailing Rankings System modeled after the ISAF World Sailing Rankings was discussed on the sailing community forum, and after some additional research and adjusting, the SLSA Sailing Rankings are ready to launch!

The initial idea for the Sailing Rankings came from answers to a community survey I ran at the end of last year. According to the survey, many of you felt that the large Cup events divide the calendar into somewhat arbitrary periods of frenzied activity, followed by weeks, if not months, of “racing fatigue” and exhaustion. At the same time, many of you requested a more permanent, stable sequence of challenges, and also greater flexibility in the choice of boats in competitive events.

Enter the SLSA Sailing Rankings: a long-term performance rating of skippers that goes hand in hand with larger events such as the Cups. The Cup events are essential; they produce a different kind of competitiveness over a (supposedly) short period of time. The Sailing Rankings on the other hand provide an ongoing competition that tracks the skills of individual sailboat racers over the long term.

The SLSA Sailing Rankings seek to address the following requests, in no particular order:

• to create a permanent challenge or series of challenges for sailors
• to reduce the amount of administrative overhead needed for such challenges
• to reduce the somewhat random aspect of large Cup events
• to promote the sport of sailing in Second Life
• to increase attendance at regular race events
• to increase the number of regular races being held
• to increase awareness of all aspects of the Racing Rules of Sailing, from the responsibilities of competitors to the responsibilities of race organizers, umpires, judges, and volunteers

The simple idea is this:

• to establish a permanent Ranking System modeled after the ISAF World Sailing Rankings, using the existing weekly races in the calendar.
• after each of the races involved, the current Sailing Rankings will be updated.
• the current Sailing Rankings will be published in regular intervals.
• no registration needed, simply to be present at your favorite race at your usual time slots.
• the Race Directors keep full responsibility of the event, as always.

The operating principles, grading criteria and rankings calculations are described

STARTING HERE

You can also get there by clicking on the SLSA Rankings tab in the navigation menu at the top of each page.

The first boat class to enter into the Rankings System will be the Flying Fizz, soon followed by all major boat types used for racing. Race directors, Yacht Clubs, volunteers: it is time to jump in!

This new competition format will kick off on March 1. 2010 will be a year of testing and development for this new formula, tweaking or adjusting things if required.

Stay tuned, something very exciting could come from this…
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Re: SLSA Rankings

Postby Liv Leigh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

I'd like to ask Nomad to make this post a sticky for the coming time.

As for the rankings:
- March 1st Tradewinds Yacht Club will hold a graded event for the SLSA Sailing Rankings for Flying Fizz. This will be 5AM, our regular Fizz timeslot.
- Chad Sawson confirmed Starboards Yacht Club will run it's first graded event sunday 7th of march, at their well-known 10AM timeslot.
These events don't come as extra races but take place within the existing sailing calendar. As I expect, the coming weeks, the calendar for graded events will gradually shape up. Which will give an extra dimension to the competitive spirit that many of us have in the sailing community and open up new possibilities for organisers of large scale 'World Cup' events.

WOOT to Bea!
Liv Leigh

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Liv Leigh wrote:...These events don't come as extra races but take place within the existing sailing calendar. As I expect, the coming weeks, the calendar for graded events will gradually shape up. ...

Yes, we have more and more requests from RD to set their event as "Graded". It is great.
While we start with fanatics this week, we plan to launch very soon (in few days), graded events for: ACA, RCJ44, Patchogue, and few others.
Grading Criterias are available here: http://slsailing.com/?page_id=3020

Few principles (or "Sharing is caring"):
- It makes sense that "graded" events are fairly distributed between all volunteers, RDs or YCs.
- If, for a given class of boat, lot of RDs want their weekly events to be graded, I'd suggest they/we discuss together to find an arrangement. A good way for that is to declare an event being "graded" every 2 weeks for exemple: odd week=graded, even week=not graded. Or graded only once a month... It is what we did for Fizz events so far, and it works. Of course, if for a given class we have less requests, then frequency of "graded" events may be higher (even weekly).
- However, I think a weekly graded event is not the best idea for an existing event in the calendar: some sailors are not interested in rankings, and join the races only for fun. Being "graded", it will add more pressure, and could bring some unwanted bad effect. There is a time for serious racing, there is a time to have fun, it is very important. Fun races are also a good practice in view of a coming graded race and a way to have good time when sailing. Also, having all events as "graded" is a no sense: it even "kills" the principle somehow. Graded events must remain particular events for which sailors are prepared, in which RDs have special duties, and it will increase interest in it. Things may be different if a new event is created in the calendar and dedicated to SLSA Sailing Rankings.
- That said, please also keep in mind that more and more YCs are presents, and would like to propose a racing program. Well established Yacht Clubs with intensive racing program (or new with ambitious program ) are asked to manage some room for new incomers (now or later). SLSA Ranking is intented to work with all, everywhere on the grid and I think there are good reasons for that.

If each of us takes his/her responsabilities, and if each RD, regarless the competition that may exist between area/YCs, demonstrates the same sportmanship that we ask to competitors, it should work, and it will be done in a good spirit for what we commonly call the "community".
If smart/fair arrangement cannot be found, and if competition between YC takes over this principle, then the "SLSA Committee" will intervene for choice/decision of "graded" events. In all cases, "grading" an event will be discussed with the committee (having a good overview of everything) and this thread may help for that purpose. Collaborative approach is the key word.

So far, they are already in or will be soon: TYC, SYC, SRYC, Les Glenans,Weston Marina, TrYC, GGYC, WYC, NYC... and we discuss with several more...doors are wide open :), all working in the same direction for the best of SL Sailing. Congrats and thank you all!
And what if I tell you that some of my posts, doesn't reflect a critical side, but a perfectionist side, that I can not stand mediocrity when one could do great things even easier. Do I deserve a spanking? Do not say "yes!" or assume...
Bea Woodget

Postby Liv Leigh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:55 am

At TYC we just hosted our first graded event: it was an instant smash hit. I almost felt like we would smash out the Altadonna sim in the first race, with 11 fizzes and a few spectators bringing it to a near time dilation halt of 0.12 :P In the end though, the 4 brave sims we used performed remarkably well, considering the (nowadays) unusual load we put on them.

I am really happy so far :), I am sure the SLSA Rankings boss and my club's other chief are too. Joro Aya certainly is now, as she is the first sailor to ever lead an SLSA ranking (unofficially still, as to my knowledge there is nothing processed yet). I am excited for the weeks to come, as we will get more data in the system.
Our race results can be found here: http://slsailing.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4317
Liv Leigh

SLSA Rankings Agenda

Postby Bea Woodget » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 am

In order to have a simplified view on all graded events, a dedicated agenda has been embedded in this page at dotCOM.

It doesn't replace in any case the SL Sailing Agenda, but is only attented to provide a filtered view of it, with only "graded" events.
All "graded" events MUST be entered in the SL Sailing Agenda as usual and marked with "Graded" or "(G)"
Bea Woodget

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

Bea Woodget

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 am

After one week, SLSA rankings are a great success: 9 or 10 RDs/YCs are involved in hosting graded events, and already about 50 skippers participated in 4 classes: Flying Fizz, ACA33, Patchogue and RCJ44. Thank you to all !
The very first "(no) official SLSA Rankings" will be published by the end of this month, and serious things will start.
But this in only a "beginning", and I'd like to see more RDs/YCs, more class involved: any volunteers to begin with Shelly? Nemo? VOJ70? Tako? ... no limit...
This gonna be very exciting...
Bea Woodget

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 am

One week to go (8 events) before the SLSA Rankings are published for the very first time...

So far, it looks very successful, and the scoring/calculation looks very good, even if some adjustments will be done to make the long-term ranking more "dynamic". Everything will be explained in details.

Some numbers so far (march 23rd):
- 25 "graded" events have been programmed in the calendar, from the beginning, March 1st
- 21 results of 25 have been computed, 4 have been excluded (1 had less than 3 competitors, 1 discarded by RD, 1 having uncorrect/incomplete results to be processed, 1 didn't match the criterias). All details will be published later on, with the rankings.
- 4 classes participate in SLSA Rankings: ACA33 (4 events), FLYING FIZZ (9), PATCHOGUE (5), RCJ44 (3)
- 84 competitors are "ranked" (ACA33: 19, FIZZ:31, PATCHOGUE:22, RCJ44:12)

None request have been received/expressed to add more class of boat in the Rankings system, however we are going to start with the SHELLY in April.

SLSA Rankings will be published March 31st (and will be updated at the end of each month).
Textures with rankings for display in YCs will be provided to all people who have rezzed the SLSA Information Kiosk inworld.

Thank you to all RDs and YCs involved, you are doing a great job guys! :)
Bea Woodget

Postby Liv Leigh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 am

I would really like to see Tako included in the rankings system: it feels strange to have the oldest and most widespread sailboat in SL not included yet.
Liv Leigh

Postby Bea Woodget » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:46 am

Liv Leigh wrote:I would really like to see Tako included in the rankings system: it feels strange to have the oldest and most widespread sailboat in SL not included yet.

I'd like too. As soon as we have 2 or 3 volunteer RDs to host graded Tako races, we can go.
Bea Woodget

Postby Bea Woodget » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 am

New events:

- Dutch will host graded ACA events at FIYC, every 2 weeks, starting April 1st
This event is already added in the SLSA Rankings calendar on dotCOM and will appear as being "graded" on a bi-monthly basis in the general calendar.
This slot completes the possibilities for ACA Racers, with: Don/GGYC/Sunday 1PM - Astro/NYC/Tuesday 4PM - Quirky/NYC/Friday 6PM

Welcome and thank you to FIYC and Dutch.

- SHELLY and TAKOS rankings will be announced soon, normally everything will be ready for beginning of April .
Bea Woodget

Postby Bea Woodget » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 am

The first rankings, for ACA33, FIZZ, PATCHOGUE and RCJ44, updated with ALL valid results of graded events of March, will be available and published in a couple of days.

To date, we are waiting for 2 or 3 results to be posted. Last event for March being this wednesday at 2PM.
Bea Woodget

Postby Bea Woodget » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 am

Rankings (March) are now ONLINE

Bea <- having a break now...
Bea Woodget

SLSA Rankings

Postby Bea Woodget » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

I am pleased to announce we launch ranking for SHELLY ! :)

I hope all ppl interested in learning for beginners and in Shelly will promote this new class. It is a great opportunity for beginners to begin to race with some "incentives" for fun.

We have 3 "graded" events for Shelly so far (be carefull: all alternate Shelly and Fizz, calendar/notices will be correct/accurate):

- First graded Shelly event: this saturday, April 17th, at 12.00pm (noon). SRYC/Jeremia - Monthly event
    - Next will be hosted by Liv at TYC, starting Monday April 19th at 6.00am - bi-monthly event.
    - Then Yuu/Bea will host a graded Shelly event at Boogdolt every 2 weeks (bi-monthly), starting Wednesday Apri 21st - 1.30pm

The aggregated calendar has been updated when possible, and the SLSA Ranking Calendar is already up-to-date: http://slsailing.com/?page_id=3027
Bea Woodget

Postby Bea Woodget » Sat May 01, 2010 5:19 am

Rankings have been updated by April 30th: http://slsailing.com/slsa-rankings/slsa-rankings-current-rankings/

Slight changes in calculation: http://slsailing.com/slsa-rankings/slsa-rankings-calculation/ to provide more "dynamism" and fair competition for everyone.
    - HYWF becomes QW
    - Q is precised
Bea Woodget

Next

Return to Racing