Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Discuss racing matters here. Note that race results and past rules cases have their own sections.

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Don Berithos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Im going to have to agree whole hardly with the both these views . First problems that arise is exactly what Q points out it waist people time and energy most not having the same allowances we do for Sailing , Two Generating new race directors has almost become impossible. The mentioning of the rules and they run . I was criticized Hignly of our rule set in the Vuitton ,I tried to keep that as simple as possible.( Impossible mission )
. Unless some Prison or school for the mentally challenged starts a course on rl racing rules of today. These having captive audiences LOL .AND LARRY ELLISON DONATES A THOUSAND COMPUTERS .I can not see how well be able to judge Match racing events with the half dozen people Qualified me be not being one of them . There needs to be a simply Version as Q has mentioned. A standard that perhaps we could make and agree on . and post at all the clubs willing to help out in this . I tried posting easy to watch video
the simplest I could find and still found most not knowing the rules . And heres where the problem starts because those knowing the rules will always Use them against you push come to shove .Not really a fun way to win in my book . As though bravo to those to have taken the time to learn .
But what Ive observed is just like Q has added It becomes a popularity contest Or judges afraid to upset people . Also finding rl rules crossing into rssl or vise versa .
I believe Hawk is providing a great clinic on this ever week I try and attend his match racing course when ever I have time . What I find amazing is the lack of people participating , Its free You get a boat and you learn something . I know its already helped me and Ive been at Rl Starts recently and its Just like they say If you dont do it everyday you tend to forget .
Im with Q and Naive on this lets begin trying to find a simpler Rule set for all . Courtesy is the best rule . Second is taking time to show others when you can . Third dont worry about what others think or will say just come sail race enjoy ,, Something I have to remind my self often . Suggest a thread or this one be used for suggestions on a simple set .
Fair WInds .

About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
Don Berithos
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The barnegat bay

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Nomad Zamani » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I think it's a question of what people expect sailboat racing in SL to be.

If it's supposed to be a simulation of RL sailboat racing, then that entails some sort of ruleset - maybe not the full RRS, but some meaningful implementation that takes account of things like lag, slow sim crossings, etc. There are rules in RL racing, right down to weekly club races in mixed fleets - and there have been many times when the results have taken a while to appear on the club noticeboard becaue there was a protest hearing or two to get through first. In RL racing, that's the way it is - the rules, and the use of them, are part of the game. It is not just about sailing a course faster than anyone else.

There are clearly some sailors in SL who prefer to have a ruleset that more or less matches the RRS - the existence of the debate on the subject suggests as much. I don't think a full implementation of the RL RRS is viable - the SL platform simply isn't good enough for that to work consistently because there will be times when someone is protested for an infraction that, on their computer screen, they didn't commit. Consequently, if there is to be a ruleset that is used for 'serious' races - races that have an approximation of RL racing as their pretext - it has to be a subset of the RL RRS, possibly with some special rules that are specific to the vagaries of SL. Ultimately, the choice of ruleset is up to the RD or organising committee, and it's up to individual sailors whether they participate in a particular race.

If some sort of standard ruleset is required, perhaps to give comparative results for graded races, then what's wrong with the existing RRS-SL? What is missing from those that should be added, why should it be added, and what are the implications of applying whatever additional rules in SL?
User avatar
Nomad Zamani
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Jane Fossett » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Nomad Zamani wrote:I think it's a question of what people expect sailboat racing in SL to be.
If it's supposed to be a simulation of RL sailboat racing, then that entails some sort of ruleset - maybe not the full RRS, but some meaningful implementation that takes account of things like lag, slow sim crossings, etc. There are rules in RL racing, right down to weekly club races in mixed fleets - and there have been many times when the results have taken a while to appear on the club noticeboard becaue there was a protest hearing or two to get through first. In RL racing, that's the way it is - the rules, and the use of them, are part of the game. It is not just about sailing a course faster than anyone else.
There are clearly some sailors in SL who prefer to have a ruleset that more or less matches the RRS - the existence of the debate on the subject suggests as much. I don't think a full implementation of the RL RRS is viable - the SL platform simply isn't good enough for that to work consistently because there will be times when someone is protested for an infraction that, on their computer screen, they didn't commit. Consequently, if there is to be a ruleset that is used for 'serious' races - races that have an approximation of RL racing as their pretext - it has to be a subset of the RL RRS, possibly with some special rules that are specific to the vagaries of SL. Ultimately, the choice of ruleset is up to the RD or organising committee, and it's up to individual sailors whether they participate in a particular race.
If some sort of standard ruleset is required, perhaps to give comparative results for graded races, then what's wrong with the existing RRS-SL? What is missing from those that should be added, why should it be added, and what are the implications of applying whatever additional rules in SL?

I agree with Nomad.
The 'full RL RRS' was used for the two major regattas in 2006, with minor modifications.
Subsequent competitions used more limited rulesets that acknowledged the constraints of SL.
I think that's pretty reasonable.
Race Directors and Regatta Coordinators should decide what works best for their event;
there is no 'good or bad.' It's just important to make sure the Rules are clear for all involved.
Here's an image I posted from such a discussion we had three and a half years ago:

Image
User avatar
Jane Fossett
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby noodleqt exonar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:53 am

Not an easy discussion you are having here... I am kinda new on the SL sailing scene, so bear with me. I am experienced on the RL scene, however. Seems to me there are two types of sailors in SL. Those who never sailed in RL, and those who did. The two have different perceptions on what sailing is and what it should be. I could use words like clueless, bumpercars and what not, but I am not gonna. No point in that.

It is fine, if SL sailing can provide an easy entry to sailing; The RL version can have a steep learning curve. Take the boat for a spin, cruising the beautiful waters of Blake. Race against each other and have fun doing that. But... if the race if only a matter of speed it is really just a race against the machine. All the other aspects of racing are lost.

Real sailors know that yacht racing is not like driving a car. There are so many things to it. The setup of the boat, the sailtrim, the balance, the tactics, the rules... All these things must be mastered in order to win. In RL noone races with eyes glued to a hud with numbers. They feel the heel, hear the sound, watch the telltales and the windvane, and they know when the boat is at max... from practice. All this happens while they look around the course to find the optimal route based on wind, currents and competitors.

The reason why yacht racing is fun is that it is hard. Now the ISAF rules have been discussed for years and years by brilliant minds, and they are adjusted every fourth year; They are carefully crafted to work in concert. It makes no sense to use a subset. Taking out parts of the rules will reverse right of way in certain situations. Ask Hawk about that.

Bottomline... Real sailors want real rules, because crippled rules are defect. Because crippled rules cannot be used to train for reality. Because crippled rules are weird to a RL sailor. Yes, I know... lag makes us see different things, but heck... those of us who sail, we know that even in RL two parties in a protest can have very different perceptions of the situation - even in a no lag world.

Zamani has a point... Its a matter of expectations... RL sailors naturally expect SL to be a full blown simulation. Virtual Skipper might be better at that, but SL has so much more; Its a world simulation. Improved processor speed and coders at Linden Lab will eventually make SL the supreme simulation of all things. Enter the Matrix.

Lets all work to make that happen.
Just my few cents...
Noodle
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
User avatar
noodleqt exonar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am
Location: I am on CET

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Nomad Zamani » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:I could use words like clueless, bumpercars and what not, but I am not gonna. No point in that.

But you did anyway.


Bottomline... Real sailors want real rules,

That's a sweeping generalisation - or something that's not dissimilar to the No True Scotsman move.


because crippled rules are defect. Because crippled rules cannot be used to train for reality.

With regard to usage that involves doing something like sailing, SL is a computer game.


Because crippled rules are weird to a RL sailor. Yes, I know... lag makes us see different things, but heck... those of us who sail, we know that even in RL two parties in a protest can have very different perceptions of the situation - even in a no lag world.

The difference with the real world is that there is only one set of circumstances to observe - the bifurcation comes from seeing those circumstances from different places and with different interpretations of what occurred. In SL, the circumstances can actually be different on different computer screens: I'm sailing along just after a sim crossing, heading to the next mark, and there is suddenly a boat to windward of me at close quarters. It isn't keeping clear, I have to jink left to avoid a collision, and I protest. In the other boat, the sailor sees me up ahead, sees me jink left and then call protest for no apparent reason. What makes you think that seeing the same thing from difference perspectives is the same as seeing two different things?


RL sailors naturally expect SL to be a full blown simulation.

What do you base that statement on?


Virtual Skipper might be better at that, but SL has so much more; Its a world simulation. Improved processor speed and coders at Linden Lab will eventually make SL the supreme simulation of all things. Enter the Matrix.

How many years are you wiling to wait?

How much sailing have you done in SL, and how much of it was racing?
User avatar
Nomad Zamani
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby noodleqt exonar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:26 am

I will not enter a flamewar.

My assumptions are not assumptions. I base my thoughts upon discussions with many experienced RL sailors in and around my home turf... RL and SL. When I say RL sailors naturally expect and want RL rules, it is based on real opinions - it is not speculation.

The question is, if SL is a toy or a simulation. The way I see it - we can have both. We just have to be clear, when it is either.

The lag issue makes it perfectly possible to see two different situations from boat A and B; True. I have experienced that myself on SL. That, however, makes little difference. It is the perception of the situation that matters, and it may vary as much in RL as it does in SL. Trust me... I have been there many times.

In a protest situation, 90% of the work is to interview the skippers and wittnesses in order to establish facts. After that the ruling is easily done on the left 10%.

So, I really don't see there is any technical issues preventing full ISAF on SL.

On a more practical level... it is a fact that crippled ISAF rules sometimes revert ROW; I have written a feature on that on my blog... its about rule 17. Go see it; Then we can talk.
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
User avatar
noodleqt exonar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am
Location: I am on CET

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Orca Flotta » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:The question is, if SL is a toy or a simulation. The way I see it - we can have both. We just have to be clear, when it is either.

No, we can't have both. SL is years from being a simulation for anything. Ugh, what am I saying, years? It will never reach the status of a simulation, it's not made to simulate anything. The limitations in SL's server architecture and coding won't allow for simulating.

The lag issue makes it perfectly possible to see two different situations from boat A and B; True. I have experienced that myself on SL. That, however, makes little difference.

That, Noodles, makes a world of a difference!

In a protest situation, 90% of the work is to interview the skippers and wittnesses in order to establish facts. After that the ruling is easily done on the left 10%.

Ok, you interview 2 skippers, you get 2 100% diametrical statements regarding the situation. That leaves you with 100% unestablished facts. Have fun finding a verdict for the protest. :P

So, I really don't see there is any technical issues preventing full ISAF on SL.

Apart from the technical issues there is also the human issue. Much more important than all the technical stuff. And the way I see it there are RL and SL sailors, they are all the same in SL sailing, and I hope we will never even try to establish a kind of apartheid between them. There are also many ex-RL sailors. So if we'd go in your direction, building camps for RL and SL sailors, in which camp will I find my home? I personally don't give much about if anyone has RL experience or not. Many SL sailors are in fact very good in what they do in here, in SL. They race and they win!

My personal verdict for the whole thing is: RL sailing and SL sailing are very different activities, they only touch on a very few points. And even now, that some boats are aiming for a more realistic sailing experience (Fizz, T1) the users are still trying to set them up so they behave in a very SL-ish way. I just received two gestures sets to use on the T1. Given to me by RL sailors. That seems to counter the philosophy behind the T1 but it tells me a lot about how people want to sail in SL.
Orca Flotta
 

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby noodleqt exonar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 am

Orca, - thanx for replying. I will try my best to answer in an open minded and friendly tone of voice.

I hear you saying that SL is and allways will be a toy, not a simulation, due to technical limitations. Fair enough. We cannot discuss beliefs, but we can respect each other and give room.

A fault is cleared by one party doing a 360. In a real world protest situation there will always be two very different perceptions. If the two parties agreed, then there would not be a protest. That is why I am saying SL is like RL. Lag does not change that. Even the real world is far from perfect. RL rulings are typically seen as wrong by one of the two combattants. Lag-like holes in human vision and memory exists very much.

I take it, you have never been in a real life protest situation. Judging from two orthogonally different perceptions is everyday business for a real world sailing jury. Thats why they spend so much time establishing facts interviewing skippers and wittnesses.

I also hear you saying, there is no difference between RL and SL sailors; If that is true, then why are we having this discussion?

I like the fact that everybody can sail in SL. I just find it boring, when it is overly simplified. I want the full package. That does not mean I think SL sailors are bad people. They are just sailing in a way that does not resemble real world sailing very much. My point is, that many RL sailors do not want to play that simplified game. Again, it is not just my opinion. Now, you can either choose to ignore it, embrace it, or you can choose to fight it. You cannot kill it.

Did you read my scripplings about how not having rule 17 reverses ROW? I cannot see any reason why lag would stop us from having rule 17. On the contrary.

Shall I come up with a verdict? I will not. Instead I present my hopes. I hope SL and RL sailing will merge beautifully, so that SL sailors and RL sailors can meet and enjoy cruising and racing. I wish SL sailing will become a friendly community, with room for all types of sailors. I also wish some of us can use SL sailing as a tool for training real world rules and tactics. Is that so bad? Must you fight me over this?
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
User avatar
noodleqt exonar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am
Location: I am on CET

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Nomad Zamani » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:I could use words like clueless, bumpercars and what not, but I am not gonna. No point in that.

I will not enter a flamewar.

Then kindly refrain from indulging in veiled disparagements.


My assumptions are not assumptions. I base my thoughts upon discussions with many experienced RL sailors in and around my home turf... RL and SL. When I say RL sailors naturally expect and want RL rules, it is based on real opinions - it is not speculation.

How many?
User avatar
Nomad Zamani
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Orca Flotta » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:That is why I am saying SL is like RL. Lag does not change that. Even the real world is far from perfect. RL rulings are typically seen as wrong by one of the two combattants.

That has nothing to do with the SL/RL stuff we`re discussing here. If a sailor doesn't understand the rules or sees them as wrong, well, it's their problem. Jury decides ... period.

Lag-like holes in human vision and memory exists very much.


Again totally different thing. Memory and vision failing a human in RL don't changet he facts. But in SL we can indeed have different facts. So non of the protest parties are lieing but it really happens differently on each screen, on each computer.

I take it, you have never been in a real life protest situation.

I have. Not very often tho, since I decided long time ago to be a fair and friendly sailor and races are not important enough to get scratches in my hull.

I also hear you saying, there is no difference between RL and SL sailors;

I did say there is no difference between them once they are sailing in SL. Heck, of most SL sailors I have no clue if they are sailing in RL as well. It doesn't interest me.

If that is true, then why are we having this discussion?

Maybe because you started it?

I like the fact that everybody can sail in SL. I just find it boring, when it is overly simplified. I want the full package. That does not mean I think SL sailors are bad people. They are just sailing in a way that does not resemble real world sailing very much.

My point exactly. SL and RL sailing are two very different activities. It's not the SL sailors sailing in that unrealistic way, it is the limitations of SL forcing us to stick to this bad computer gaming level.

My point is, that many RL sailors do not want to play that simplified game. Again, it is not just my opinion. Now, you can either choose to ignore it, embrace it, or you can choose to fight it. You cannot kill it.

It's not on me to ignore, embrace or fight anything. I just accept it as it is.
Did you read my scripplings about how not having rule 17 reverses ROW? I cannot see any reason why lag would stop us from having rule 17. On the contrary.

No, I didn't. It's not in my interest to discuss any ruling stuff here. I was only trying to basically tell you that you are in for a bad disappointment if you keep hoping for a more realistic racing experience in SL.
Shall I come up with a verdict? I will not. Instead I present my hopes. I hope SL and RL sailing will merge beautifully, so that SL sailors and RL sailors can meet and enjoy cruising and racing. I wish SL sailing will become a friendly community, with room for all types of sailors. I also wish some of us can use SL sailing as a tool for training real world rules and tactics. Is that so bad? Must you fight me over this?

No.
Just weighing in my experience so far. If my post sounded like fighting I'm very sorry. And, lol, you've never seen me fighting. I'm literally the internet tough guy, ask some of my counterparts and the mods of this forum who already crumbled under my arguments and logic. They even had to ban me to shut me up. \o/ YAY! \o/
Orca Flotta
 

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Don Berithos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 pm

noodleqt exonar wrote:I read it... and I am just beginning to.

Are there other SL sailing related fora anywhere worthy of reading, lemme know.


Seems we have a new sailor with lots of answers and hiding behind a new Name . I really dont mind the alt Thing For Buissness Practices . But when it come to the racing rules of sailing and Claiming to be new and oooh could you help me find my way .
Just the blog Question alone is Clue enough for me . I sail alot in sl ive never once come upon this fair madien who cant seem to find a sailing Blog .
But does seem to know her way around a Matrix . Let entertain the new girl and try to help her and welcome her into the fold al though I suspect a fouled scupper here , Lets give her the benifit of all our Knowledge and Share the SL,Sailing fun with her First By inviting her to Join use maybe in one of Morwery Cruise to get her feet wet . Then ship her straight to the sailing acadmy
For a sl sailing 101 , Then off to the Sunday regatta for lessons . Or any of the many clubs with sailing programs . Then its off to the fruit Islands To get her match race ready . After which throw a couple grading events in there . And Poof . We now have created the perfect . SL.Sailor ready to hit the race circuirt and teach us all a thing or two . Maybe after all this somewhere shell pick up the rules and acually use them . AH what dreams we do concieve . Caio . P.s There a cruise this sunday Join any of the wonderful clubs in SL and youll recieve NORS on a daily Basis Or hunt the link to the SLSA calendar For Monthly events , Second P.S, Will you bringing your Opti or your olympic class Star . ...............................
User avatar
Don Berithos
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The barnegat bay

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Liv Leigh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:36 pm

It is heart-warming to come back from vacation and find things back as you left them :)

Seems we have a new sailor with lots of answers and hiding behind a new Name . I really dont mind the alt Thing For Buissness Practices . But when it come to the racing rules of sailing and Claiming to be new and oooh could you help me find my way .

Noodle is not an alt, Don.. She's been hanging out for some 9 months at TYC now and I'd be glad to have her as an RD for the club. She knows a lot more about real life sailing and the racing rules than most of us.
User avatar
Liv Leigh
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Sala-Y-Gomez

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby noodleqt exonar » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:51 am

@Nomad: I am a friendly, laid back person. I have the confidence to ask questions, when I see something, that I cannot make sense of. How many sailors do I know? Do you expect me to namedrop? You gotta be kiddin. Lets talk sailing like sailors do.

@Orca: We cannot share knowledge in a mutually beneficial way like this; The movie clips elsewhere in this thread is a good example of the typical protest; There are always four perceptions of any situation. Boat A, boat b, the Jurys and then there is the truth. Hopefully the latter two are similar. It is all about perception. Real life is too.
I asked around about ISAF; I learned that RDs in SL can be clueless about ISAF rules. A RD told me that herself. Got it on tape. So there is a difference. Thats a fact. I deal with facts.
I do not see any logic in your postings... I see you are good at playing with words, dodging the substance of my statements; I see politics, not knowledge. Lets talk sailing like sailors do.

@Don: I am being me; No alt here. Do you usually mock people that you do not know?

I have watched the mysterious SL sailing community for more than a year now. I have raced, been in protests, and I have discussed matters with SL sailors. Thanx for helping me understand, what it is and what it is not.
In pursuit of realism... http://noodleqt.blogspot.com
User avatar
noodleqt exonar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am
Location: I am on CET

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Don Berithos » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 am

Just the new Kid on the block is all Ive endured A year of it . Youll learn this place is popularity Contest like most of the decissions are here In big
Regattas . I grew up in the Yacht club system of sailing . I can count on one hand The number of people here who respect that form of knowledge .
The sadness youll find is that most things done in Sl sailing are to promote something else . Ive tryed my hardest not get involved with aspect that why we continue to open new venues in sl. Un like the real world You can have all the rules you want here If people Use them to further there own goals What the use .?See its geting knowlegabile People involved like Your self To teach other willing race directers . Its not something yu learn overnight in a year or two years. With the shortage we have The quality of the races diminishes .he willing nees to teach also goes and we wind up with the same fleets .
Our clubs weve tryed giving each new boat at least one race if it is race ready . And offers a fair racing script in it , Boats that dont lock race wind or you can change pararmeters in Kinda defeat the rules in the beginning . This also is a popularity contest .My favorite races her are probly the big boat races That let any boat designed that accepts racewind and id to complete . I appoligize if you felt I was mocking You It turly was just meant as a form of fun . And also Mistaken identity . On my part ,
Ive always belived as you if its rl siling simulation you want Virtuail skipper is hands down the place to me For the above reasons This has not been popularized . if are egos are that big and that the best to win comes at all cost this would be the place to test there skills .
Ive long thought the Sailing platform when talking champian ships unfair to most And that the finals perhaps should be Taken to Virtuial skipper .
I think wed all be surprised at the outcome .
Then theres alway the argument that secondlife is a game and I guess those who spend the time Gammers to master it deserve to be acknowledged,
Which brings us back to lack of experienced Race Directers who will one inforce the rules .Two Give there time to teach others And three A set of rules we all agree upon .Its one thing to say it its another to get it done .As is prescribing. it. I dont thing theres anything wrong with the current rule set .It seems it comes from years of experienced racing here in secondlife . I do Know one thing If we dont make it simplier or start teaching The rules in a simpler manner the Sailing participation will be the one hurt here . Again was in gest was up late having little fun .
Hope you consider holding some races your self you dont need a Yacht club to do so all the lines are open to the sailing public and of course the shopping public as the rezz zones seem to be were most try there new clothes on .Welcome to the party .
User avatar
Don Berithos
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The barnegat bay

Re: Racing Rules of Sailing in Second Life - RRSSL

Postby Nomad Zamani » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:09 am

noodleqt exonar wrote:@Nomad: I am a friendly, laid back person. I have the confidence to ask questions, when I see something, that I cannot make sense of. How many sailors do I know? Do you expect me to namedrop? You gotta be kiddin. Lets talk sailing like sailors do.

You are refusing to place any substance behind your claim that 'real' sailors want to use nothing but the full RRS. Consequently, your argument rests on an appeal to authority. There are several RL sailors in this very thread who have stated that the technical limitations of SL make the implementation of a full RRS ruleset impractical.

@Orca: We cannot share knowledge in a mutually beneficial way like this; The movie clips elsewhere in this thread is a good example of the typical protest; There are always four perceptions of any situation. Boat A, boat b, the Jurys and then there is the truth. Hopefully the latter two are similar.

In SL, there is sometimes more than one 'truth'. You appear to be brushing that aside.


Contrary to your earlier remarks, the vast majority of SL sailors are not using SL as a training precursor to taking up sailing in RL. Some SL sailors have gone on to try it in RL, but they didn't didn't decide to take up RL sailing and then choose SL as a training vehicle - they found that they liked the sailing representation in SL and were tempted to try the real thing.

In spite of what you seem to think, SL is a rubbish purpose-specific simuilator. Until LL invest huge amounts of money to completely redesign the architecture and recode everything, it will remain so. It's been a long time since I last tried Virtual Sailor, and it was better years ago than SL is now. Similarly, MS Flight Simulator is light years ahead of flying simulation in SL. The key factors that negatively impact performance in SL are the division of the world into 256m square regions and the need for all avatar and vehicle data to be transferred between regions (ie, between servers, across a WAN) as one moves through the world, the fact that all vehicle code is implemented as runtime scripts with limited memory, and the need for every texture and the details of every prim to be transferred to the client machine in real time. The scripting is a particular issue - to get around the lack of memory, one has to create several scripts per vehicle, and transferring a vehicle with multiple scripts slows region hand-offs further. Multiple scripts also entails increased communications between the scripts to the make the set work as a whole, and those in-vehicle comms increase load on the server and create lag. The more realistic you try to make it, the worse it gets - there is, in effect, a performance ceiling below which builders try to work.

The simple fact is, SL has limits that preclude the implementation of a simulation that approaches the capabilities of the dedicated applications like Virtual Sailor or Flight Sim. SL is not a sailing simulator, it never has been, and in all probability, it never will be (because the investment required to make it so is far too large). SL is a general purpose metaverse, and the sailing scene is about far more than a trying to attain a comparatively true-to-life simulation of boats moving through water. It's about the whole sailing scene thing - yacht clubs, events, boat builders, nice scenery, the diverse community.
User avatar
Nomad Zamani
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron