"It's getting to be re-goddamn-diculous around here"

Use this area to engage with LL on sailing matters across the grid.

"It's getting to be re-goddamn-diculous around here"

Postby Glorfindel Arrow » Mon May 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Blake Sea in the last week has been the worst it's been since the beginning. Racing is impossible, just tried 3 races with no finishers, and every race I was at last week had the whole fleet wipe out several times. Seems like some server problem, and I don't know about that stuff, sims with the Magnum servers seem the worst.
I have not been sailing in other areas as much as I used to so I don't know if there are similar problems for other clubs.
I wish all the Clubs could somehow put aside their differences and go to the Lindens as a group and find out what the problem is. You could say, 'oh it's Blake, screw it' but I fear this problem will be coming your way, if not already there. And if it continues it could perhaps put an end to sailing in SL, because how long are people going to put up with crashing out of every race they try?
Glor
(stop me before I post again)

PS> SInce we lost Blondin, our go to guy, does any Linden actually read this forum? Something needs to be done.
Glorfindel Arrow

Re: "It's getting to be re-goddamn-diculous around here"

Postby Chaos Mandelbrot » Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

LL has obviously given up on vehicles.
Chaos Mandelbrot

Postby Jane Fossett » Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Chaos Mandelbrot wrote:LL has obviously given up on vehicles.

It's not a vehicle...
It's my damn boat
and I liked it.
It didn't deserve to drown.
:-(
Jane Fossett

Postby bunnie mills » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:28 am

The complains and the worries are growing on this matter, and not just in this forum.
I'm also puzzled that for a couple days people (including me) occasionally had crossings that were smooth like we had not seen before. They almost made it to improve the historical annoyance ? For a moment you get to dream of that again, then poof, and it just gets worse.
What is going on ? Is this temporary, or a new standard ?
Whatever the technical reasons, situation evolved to a showstopper for sailors around all grid.
Blondin has gone, that means traveling the grid is a feature to forget ? Hard to believe that.

Can we get LL's attention somehow, i mean if this forum is not serving the purpose ?
Is anybody in touch with them and could forward a word of concern ? USS ? BSSC ? Help ! :)

If things don't get any better, should we gather for a protest like we did for the openspace act ?
A pacific crashing marathon around Barbarossa ?
bunnie mills

Postby Lance Corrimal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:56 am

I've just been out in a couple of boats and the experience has been all over the place... all the way to rodel from starboards on my '70, and almost all the way back, only to get stripped off the boat on a sim border 4 sims away from SYC.

later, various multihulls in the blake sea, no problems at all... that being said, the '90 in its oracle shape is faster than the hepcat, but the '45 is a tiny bit slower.

later again, hepcat @ sansara... no problems.

on the other hand, last night, wildwind motorboat, blake sea, very painful.
Lance Corrimal

Postby Jane Fossett » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Lance Corrimal wrote:I've just been out in a couple of boats and the experience has been all over the place... all the way to rodel from starboards on my '70, and almost all the way back, only to get stripped off the boat on a sim border 4 sims away from SYC.
later, various multihulls in the blake sea, no problems at all... that being said, the '90 in its oracle shape is faster than the hepcat, but the '45 is a tiny bit slower.
later again, hepcat @ sansara... no problems.
on the other hand, last night, wildwind motorboat, blake sea, very painful.

Lance makes good points;
but since this is a thread to connect to Lindens
and not about boats or sailing issues,
I I posted a comment on metaverse
so I would not derail this topic.
xxx
Jane Fossett

Postby Glorfindel Arrow » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Hello!, it's me again.
Blake Sea is crap again.
I restate the Question, Are there any Lindens doing any maintenance or restarts of Blake???
yer fren, Glor, stop me before I post again
Glorfindel Arrow

Postby bunnie mills » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:34 am

Just to point out how, after two weeks of smooth crossings, with a few occasional feels-like-seamless crossings (at least in Blake), conditions are back to frequent trouble. RDs report event failures and i bet most sailors noticed again the trend inversion.

I heard there is this optimization LL are working at (or are they just thinking about it, i cannot say), for which grouping adjacent sims together in the same server block ("colo" is the appropriate term) thereby speeding up communication among these servers, resulting in smoother crossings through these sims.

It seems until today there was no way to group sims together on the server side based on the current grid geography (or it was only a manual task done on request?), and here comes the optimization concept.

But these are rumours, really. Anyone has a better clue of the status ?
How about our communication channels with the labs ? No news yet ?
bunnie mills

Postby Liv Leigh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Our communications channels with the labs?
...Calling Elvis...
BEEP
BEEP
BEEP

You have been disconnected....
Liv Leigh

Postby Liv Leigh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:36 pm

It's pretty obvious.
We don't matter.

We're with less and less active sailors maybe.
But the total amount of tier money we bring in never decreased.

So we can be considered 'happy consumers'.
Or are we being consumed? ;)
Liv Leigh

Postby Joyofrlc Acker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:23 pm

apologies if Im off base in what follows, im not an "insider" and dont know all the history etc.

Am I right that we dont really have a coherent "voice" with LL these days? It seems to me that MTW used to act as a sort of spokesperson for sailing, perhaps sometimes controversially. But the channel of communication was there it seemed. But a back channel, except when MTW pulled back the curtain.

Looking forward rather than back ... many ppl say that Blondins departure is a problem. I have to take peoples word for that as Ive no idea who he is. was?

So the question is, how do we get ourselves organised?

I also wonder if the estate owners as a group wouldnt have some clout with LL. These issues detract form the value of their offering.
Joyofrlc Acker

Return to Talk to Linden Lab