Abysmal grid performance

The place for discussions about SL and RL sailing, grid-happenings, and other topics of general interest.

Abysmal grid performance

Postby Liv Leigh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 am

Cross-posting a race result to show what I mean:
Present at the Siracusa line for the race:

ziz Kidd
EmmanuelMara Resident
claudia Debruyere
Colin Nemeth

RD: Liv Leigh

Race 1:
Everybody crashed, including the race director

Race 2:
Everybody crashed, including the race director

I think this says enough..

There are a couple of people talking on a petition. I think a wide action, supported by a number of vehicle communities, is desired.
Liv Leigh

Re: Abysmal grid performance

Postby kittensusie Landar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 am

Liv Leigh wrote:Cross-posting a race result to show what I mean:

There are a couple of people talking on a petition. I think a wide action, supported by a number of vehicle communities, is desired.

I'd agree with that Liv; I tried flying 5 times from Hollywood airport and crashed each time before I made it to Nautilus City. Just what are LL doing to cure the problem of border crossings? I've been on here for 3 years and the answer seems to be FECK ALL :evil:
Kittensusie Landar
kittensusie Landar

Postby Liv Leigh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 am

I have a little more understanding of the situation now. Linden Labs works in a way similar to mobile phone companies or magazines: they don't care about existing customers or people who already paid their bills, but prefer to sell their product to ignorant newcomers.
Liv Leigh

Postby Liv Leigh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 am

I have an announcement. Some may recall my 'SVC-472' team during the One World regatta. I have decided to recycle this group and put it to use for the greater good:
I have opened up my group 'SVC-472' for public access. #SecondLife would be a better place if region crossings were
actually fixed. #SL
Liv Leigh

Postby Jane Fossett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Hiya; I am also frustrated over grid function, but its largely over poor communication.
I can live with a day of awful grid performance if I know LL is working on an upgrade.
My trouble is that our SL Sailing contact with LL is now much worse than before.
Most Office Hours are gone, and our LL contacts (Blondin) disappeared.
Blondin and I never got along great, but I've repeatedly said the outcome
of a lot of open dialogs with him turned out a lot better than I ever imagined.

Liv Leigh was part of those dialogs; so was anyone else who wanted to speak,
and we all posted the transcripts here.

Blondin's pseudo-replacements turned out to be rather pathetic. (sorry... but that's true).
We need a Linden neutral link to build sailing.

Sailors are an important part of Second Life. We deserve a voice.
Jane Fossett

Postby Liv Leigh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Yes, no idea what happened to Blondin. I guess he saw the storm coming and jumped off the ship before he would drown in it. :)

I still think the region crossings handling has been a bunch of pseudo-solutions at best so far: band aids and patchwork. Over the course of 3 years I see little improvement. The recent events don't make me very hopeful, in spite of Rodvik's words at the SLCC Keynote Speech.
Liv Leigh

Postby Joyofrlc Acker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:58 pm

This is probably the wrong place for this as Im not sure how many read this forum these days; however ...

My sense is that the root cause is the LL does not give much priority to sim crossing issues. Im fairly sure that their business model is based around signing up new accounts, shopping and land "sales" (newbies are at least as important as old timers as they need to go shopping to get kitted out with everything hence ka-chiiing and they make their %).

We get alerts when market place is disrupted. Sim border issues we do not. Thats indicative I think.

Next, does anyone actually understand what the technical problem is? (are??). Ive tried looking at the JIRA but see quite a few JIRAS around these issues (and as we know some are quite old).

A petition is probably a good start. But somehow we have to make LL WANT to get this solved (rather than just getting rid of a nuisance). Is there way that we can appropriately, and within TOS, PUBLICISE the poor state of affairs in such a way that LL realises this is part of their reputation and hence wants to get the problem solved. So we need some good data and facts to support this.

The risk of course is that if LL really focuses on the issue they may just bite the bullet and say "we dont support hi-stress activities like sailing or flying. Sorry." Not sure what we do then, except look for another platform.
Joyofrlc Acker

Return to General Discussion