Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

The place for discussions about SL and RL sailing, grid-happenings, and other topics of general interest.

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Jane Fossett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:41 am

Chakku451 Rieko wrote: My brother has this old comedy, starring some Austrailian comic name Yahoo Serious, called "Young Einstein" in which the plot is that Einstein was born in the Austailian Outback and split a beer atom to give beer foam. There's this great little scene of a smallish shed with the some chisling noises from within, a small explosion, then Einstein running to his parents carrying a pilsner glass of foamy beer.
This headline brings forth a similar image, but it's an apartment building, and after the explosion there's this largish Nordic guy dressed as a typical American science geek standing in the now nonexistant bay window, glowing.

I know the global economy is currently going to hell in a hand-basket,
but here's one more topic-related thing we might worry about.
According to the Public Broadcasting Service,

Sleeping next to someone for 8 hours results
in a 2 mRem radiation exposure.


[Cough]
User avatar
Jane Fossett
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Chaos Mandelbrot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Jane Fossett wrote:Sleeping next to someone for 8 hours results
in a 2 mRem radiation exposure.



I think this would depend on the mass of the individuals involved. Or perhaps it shows why sleeping is evil.
User avatar
Chaos Mandelbrot
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Liv Leigh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:25 am

CERN will have a live webcast at 1600 CET on what might be the greatest scientific discovery of this century so far: http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay ... fId=155620

If this is true, those $8 Billion are nothing..
User avatar
Liv Leigh
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Sala-Y-Gomez

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Jane Fossett » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Liv Leigh wrote:CERN will have a live webcast at 1600 CET on what might be the greatest scientific discovery of this century so far: http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay ... fId=155620
If this is true, those $8 Billion are nothing..

Yikes, I agree with Liv on the 'overclocked neutrino' findings.
I's gotta be wrong...
I mean... omg... :-)


Maybe there's a fun corollary study that's easy to do,
and has lots of local human interest and impact:

If the repeated bursts of neutrinos sprayed from CERN to the Italian detector actually do exceed light-speed,
shouldn't the people living in the 700km 'blast-path' be getting younger?


jmho...
:-)

Image
http://www.npr.org/2011/09/23/140745856/new-data-put-cosmic-speed-limit-to-the-test
User avatar
Jane Fossett
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Liv Leigh » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:41 am

Jane Fossett wrote:
Maybe there's a fun corollary study that's easy to do,
and has lots of local human interest and impact:

If the repeated bursts of neutrinos sprayed from CERN to the Italian detector actually do exceed light-speed,
shouldn't the people living in the 700km 'blast-path' be getting younger?

[/url]

No.. as the blast path goes through the earth's crust, in a straight line, not over the surface.
User avatar
Liv Leigh
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Sala-Y-Gomez

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Liv Leigh wrote:No.. as the blast path goes through the earth's crust, in a straight line, not over the surface.


Liv's right! The halfway point of the particle stream is 11.4 km below the surface! :-)

Image
http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/22064_large_Beam_Trajectory_Wide.png
User avatar
Jane Fossett
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Chaos Mandelbrot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Mad Scientist means never having to ask "What's the worst that could happen"?
User avatar
Chaos Mandelbrot
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Re: Off-Topic: Higgs, God, Cern... $8 Billion later...

Postby Joyofrlc Acker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 am

Not younger, just tanned.
Joyofrlc Acker
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 am

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron