RC and Micro Racing

The place for discussions about SL and RL sailing, grid-happenings, and other topics of general interest.

RC and Micro Racing

Postby Nomad Zamani » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 am

Racing radio controlled boats, and racing on very small boats using micro avatars, has come to the fore recently. What do you think of these as a form of racing? How does it compare to the full size version? What possibilities are there for improvements?
Nomad Zamani

Re: RC and Micro Racing

Postby Cynthia Centaur » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 am

definitely an advantage:
Racing courses that easily fit within one sim without being trivial --> no sim crossings.
These days that seems to be the only option left to sail longer than 5 mins in the same direction.

C.
Cynthia Centaur

Postby Glorfindel Arrow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm

RC and MIcro racing is fun, I have not crashed, sometimes it gets laggy when the spectators are loaded with scripts (hahah).
But, not getting anybody to show up for the races Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and Thursday evening, they dropped Tuesday evening.
Dunno why the no-shows, people don't want to buy and wear a micro Av??, and the few boats available are usable but you could say not great, I'm not in love with the way the HUDs work, but this is all new and with a little support could be a great thing.
-Glor
Glorfindel Arrow

Postby MarkTwain White » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Hollywood Model Yacht Club has most of a full sim dedicated to radio-controlled and micro racing.

As Cynthia has pointed out, one GREAT advantage of these races is: NO SIM CROSSINGS.

As it is working out, there is another great advantage: NO DRAMA. :shock: :D

If you find that hard to believe, read my post from May 3 on the HMYC blog:

http://slsailing.com/hollywoodmodelyach ... ay-3-2011/
SIM PRESERVATION PROJECT -- http://simpreservation.com
MarkTwain White

Postby Cynthia Centaur » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 am

NO DRAMA.

..then it's not virtual sailing.
C.
Cynthia Centaur

Postby Naeve Rossini » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Does anyone have resources for shopping for micro and tiny avatars?
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Blunt Fhang » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:56 am

I use a micro av full time in sL, I sail, use pirate galleons plus small racing boats, both sail and engined. I have steampunk battleships that I use, both surface and submarine types.

There is a growing range for micros, and some sailing areas being set up for them, not quite duck pond sized but within a sim. Some of the micro boats can put up a fair turn of speed, it's nothing compared to some human av sized boats, but at 1/10th scale it's fast. The free micro racer from Charlz Price has been up to 4.5 knots without any effort by me, in a race I daresay 5 or more is possible. As I say, when you're 1/10th the size of a human av, that is fast. I need to make a video of it, to give you an idea of what I mean, for those who haven't tried it.

There is a Micro Guide Book out in SL, it lists a variety if items for micro av's, plus useful advice and scripts. It's free, and I set up a vendor at Micro Haven, plus will add one at my Micro Harbour. Send me an IM inworld and I'll send you a copy. I'm working on micro friendly sailing and fishing sims pages right now, but the guide book is full of information now.

I have a fair list of micro boat builders, that I'm putting together for the guide, if you have problems find boats then IM me, and I'll send you a list.

But I will say one thing on micro sailing, why haven't you joined us yet? get a micro av, around 750 or so Linden $, you can get a free boat. Come and try it out. There are several micro friendly harbours now, you can sail from mine with no group tag, others have rez free areas too.
Micros have more fun in the same space that human av's waste
Blunt Fhang

Postby Jane Fossett » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:45 pm

<--Echos what everyone posted above.
This is actually a bit of a complex discussion, and overdue.
Big Kudos to MTW, Julie Ceres, Lothor Vlodovic, and all the 'small minded' sailors :-) .

I have a few issues that give me headaches, and might be worth hashing out:
1. Tines are not Micros, are they? :-)
2. Real Life RC boats are an emulation of RL sailing. SL RC boats emulate what? (I think the goal is to emulate RL RC. Is that correct?)
3. Can SL RC boats (Trudeau J-Class) race fairly alongside vessels skippered by Micros (Eta Carter's Vanguard)? The concept seems different, but I'm just asking. :-)
4. What happens to all above when we can sail a grid with mega-prims? (OK, Forget that question for the moment :-) ).

I think this is a fun discussion; there are many SLSailing.net posts on RC; here are just a couple I did thant have some links:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5243&p=27639&hilit=radio#p27639
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5243&p=27460&hilit=radio#p27460

Jane Fossett

Return to General Discussion