Where can I buy a boat?

The place for discussions about SL and RL sailing, grid-happenings, and other topics of general interest.

Where can I buy a boat?

Postby Naeve Rossini » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 am

I was talking to someone new to sailing the other day and was trying to point them to some boats, and then discovered that there are boats being sold that I'm not particularly aware of... at least not well enough to know where or how to buy them.

Glancing at the last three weeks of SLSA notices, it looks like the boats currently "in use" for races are the ACA (v3 and Light), WildCat 35, Leetle Cat II, One, Qyv 2M, Tako, Nemo and Fizz, in addition to small boats/big boats races.

Eight boats, representing seven shipwrights:

• ACA RACER (Santa Barbara)
  • Trudeau Classic Yachts - Owner: Jacqueline Trudeau. Main Store: Isla de Jacqinda
  • Wild Wind - Owner: corry Kamachi. Main Store: WildWind
  • Flying Fizz, Shelly Fizz and the Fizz sailing engine - Owner: Tasha Kostolany and Taku Raymaker, formerly Mothgirl Dibou. No main store, but its "home base" is Tradewinds Yacht Club in Dez.
  • Nemo - Owner: Nomad Zamani. Main Store: Nantucket Yacht Club
  • Quest Marine - Owner: Qyv Inshan. Main Store: somewhere in Fruit Islands?
  • Tako - Owner: Kanker Greenacre. Main Store: Gray
  • Balduin Aabye Yacht Designs - Owner: Balduin Aabye. Main Store: Dex

What other boat creators are out there?

• Bwind Engine-based boats - Owner: Various. Location: Dex
  • Seawolf Marine (do they have a main store?) - Tetra 35
  • Elyd 50 - Owner: Liv Leigh. Main Store: Dex and Marketplace
  • WOOT - Owner: SurfWidow Beaumont. Main Store: Boogdolt
  • Caf makes the Jangars. Not sure if that's still available now that his energies are going mostly to ACA.
  • Cotton Blossom is... Balduin Aabye? Does he have a main store?
  • Does Becky Mouillez have a main store for her boats?
  • Eta Carver - Eta Carver (shipwright), sold on Marketplace and TYC.
  • ReneMarine (Thalipolli)
  • Stars and Stripes Nautica (New England) - VCC 82
  • Black Spot (Black Spot) - Pirate ships
  • Apolon Motors (Jetski) - 33' Catamaran
  • TUFF Old Boats (World Of Elements) - Are these windsetter-capable? I saw a lot of their ads on Marketplace.
  • Star Bay Yachts - Owner: ?. Main Store: Horrorbag
  • Twohead's Nautical Shop & Shipyard - Owner: Twohead Janus. Main Store: Newfangled.

RC Boats

In addition to regular-sized boats, the following shipwrights make "radio controlled" RC boats.

Eta Carver
Trudeau Classic Yachts
WildWind

(At some point, I'd like to add SLURLs, but I haven't had the time in-world to collect them yet.)

Edited: To include new information below.
Last edited by Naeve Rossini on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Re: Where can I buy a boat?

Postby Slanty Uriza » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:46 am

Shelly is made by Mothgirl :( same as Fizz :( :(
Slanty Uriza

Postby Naeve Rossini » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 am

So no mainstore for the Shelly, eh? Is there a main store at all for Mothgirl's old creations? I know that stewardship of the code was passed on to folks at TYC, but it didn't seem like there was a main store for her stuff.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Liv Leigh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:03 am

Fizz and Shelly are being taken care of by Tasha and Taku. There are no specific mainstores.

Other boats:
Most BWind-based boats are sold at TYC, which is the home spot for BWind.
Balduin Aabye yacht designs, also in Dex
Rene Marine, Thalipolli
Star Bay Yachts, Horrorbag
Surfwidow Beaumont, WOOT mainstore, Boogdolt
Elyd 50 is distributed by me, from TYC and Marketplace
Quest Marine sells mostly from Fruit Islands
Eta Carver, sells her boats and RC sailboats from TYC

And a bunch of others, when I have more time I'll try get their names.
Liv Leigh

Postby Don Berithos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:35 am

Golden gate has a race shop in the Sky over schilli.As well as many boats on the dock for Sale theres a teleporter to the shop on the main dock .
We also carry all Bauldens Bwinds As well As all of Quest marines Boats
We also sell and display The current alpha and beta boats from Wildwind and carry there full line .
The VCC 82 built by Renemarine Race shop is here as well as Caf binders products ,
The super six Bwind Has been here from the beginning ,
All of Rene Marine products as well and there a free demo giver in San Francisco and also we have a Woot store that sell various Boating products .
Also Coca Designs is still a huge part of GGYC SHE IS CURRENTLY WORKING on A fleet of extereme 40 inspired designs for the wild cats , anyone who needs a ACA updated with there old designs to a light or the 3,0 Drop me a notecard and ill get them directly to you .
Cigar yachts as well we sell there full line , I know im forgetting something well take a look or im me if you need any help with your boats or purchases , Ah I have it , We carry the Sim health Hud as well .
And have nemo givers and fizz givers as well .
Don Berithos

Postby Silber Sands » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:02 am

Don't forget Twohead Janus (Twoheads Nautical Shop & Shipyard).
He still sells his boats on the sim "Newfangled", in the SW-corner.
Silber Sands

Postby Naeve Rossini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 am

Don Berithos wrote:Golden gate has a race shop in the Sky over schilli.As well as many boats on the dock for Sale theres a teleporter to the shop on the main dock .

Thanks for the update, don. Right now, I'm trying to track down main stores, if any, for the various shipwrights.

Does ReneMarine have a main store?

Who makes the Super 6?

Don Berithos wrote:Also Coca Designs is still a huge part of GGYC SHE IS CURRENTLY WORKING on A fleet of extereme 40 inspired designs for the wild cats , anyone who needs a ACA updated with there old designs to a light or the 3,0 Drop me a notecard and ill get them directly to you .

How is COCA Yven operating in SL these days? I can no longer find her in a People search. That's usually an indication that an account has been locked out. Is there some way for her customers to contact her directly?
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Orca Flotta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am

Naeve Rossini wrote:Does ReneMarine have a main store?

Yes, she has a mainstore at her home. It's not too far from TYC but I forgot the location. Will send you LM inworld.

Who makes the Super 6?

Donna Wrigglesworth. No mainstore but vendors at TYC and TrYC.

How is COCA Yven operating in SL these days? I can no longer find her in a People search. That's usually an indication that an account has been locked out. Is there some way for her customers to contact her directly?

AFAIK she's dead and gone. Maybe don is acting marketing rep for her. As he wrote, if you want a Yven design make contact through him. So obviously no mainstore.

And don't forget BERDAV Marine. In addition to their usual line of maritime spare parts they have some wonderful powerboats now. Mainstore in Kinrara.
Orca Flotta

Postby Don Berithos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:46 am

Weve had super 6 at ggyc from day one and theres a demo giver Livs had one also as well as at Charlz , and Fiona as well .
Renemarine started at Tradewinds Has moved right around the corner from If you look at the map you can see from the air A bill Board , I belive there all still available At Livs As Well.

Donna Wiggleworth Is a Great sculpter and boat builder Her family Ill just say from down nunder has been involved in rl boat building for generations .
Donnas realife work takes her to out back for weeks at a time . So when shes home she gets back to work here after some well needed RR I wont say what she does but involves Very heavy Machinery.
Still hansd down best Bwind polars in SL .
Cocas designs remains were it always Was , At the GGYC she has posted sign there that direct all new orders or problems with anything to me .
Coca Vyen and Db deisgns have been parthers from the beginning so if you do need anything anything at all Contact Don Berithos , Displays are Still Up at the club . Coca Vyen no longer trusts the LL system in a whole having large amonts of money charged to one her SL only Accounts , When she mentioned it and a Law suit pending LL shut account off, Litigation is pending , Those of you that have credit cards tied to sl I recomend. Highly. Using only threw paypal , That or using a Seperate debit tybe card that you only use to sl that is not tied into your main accounts , AT no time leave a Credit card open to secondlife , Use Paypal . ....... :)
Wilth draw your linden s do not carry large balances in world . Its your money and LL is only making money off it, as long as it stays in world , Sorry if thats bit off topic but . I believe needed to answer whole Question , -Don Never leave all your eggs in one basket That what the Easter bunnys says ,
Don Berithos

Postby Naeve Rossini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Don Berithos wrote:Those of you that have credit cards tied to sl I recomend. Highly. Using only threw paypal , That or using a Seperate debit tybe card that you only use to sl that is not tied into your main accounts , AT no time leave a Credit card open to secondlife , Use Paypal . ....... :)

We're sliding off topic, but I just wanted to note that using Paypal isn't very secure either, since it's just a broker between LL and your bank or your credit card.

If you want to be secure, use a debit card tied to a bank account that has limited funds in it, specifically for LL only (or perhaps online shopping in general). That way, the damage is minimised if someone like LL tries to withdraw a significant amount of money accidentally or illegally.

Don Berithos wrote:Wilth draw your linden s do not carry large balances in world . Its your money and LL is only making money off it, as long as it stays in world , Sorry if thats bit off topic but . I believe needed to answer whole Question , -Don

Actually, they don't. The way the Linden exchange works is that you are trading with other users. LL makes money off the service fees when you trade money in world. When you buy Lindens from LL, you're actually buying from another user at the highest selling rate at that moment.

While LL doesn't make money off your in-world balance, you won't have any money at all if you don't cash out. Notice that LL will never take money directly from your L$ balance, even if you have more than enough to cover tier. You still have to cash out to pay them in USD. That's because they can't automatically authorise the sale of your L$ to another user to convert it to USD.

If LL could actually trade in L$, it would be held to a much higher standard of liability. They are currently skirting that liability with this scheme, which is why they can get away with such horrid account and billing services. Could it hold up in court? Don't know. No one's taken it that far in a law suit yet.
Naeve Rossini
Cute. Real cute.
Naeve Rossini

Postby Don Berithos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I state in the post its little off topic im just trying to answer your question This getting really redundant this off topic grading thing like were in high school . Paypal Pal you have to Authorizes-the payments, Pay pal backs Transations. Thats another story , I found a new or maybe I didnt know about boatyard make older cabin cruisers etc . Pretty neat Some very nice skiffs as well .Its called Coastal marinas Alisia Student (alisia.student) the creator, Nice replica of a jersey skiff here like the one from Jaws fame ,
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Coastal%20Marina/144/88/22
Don Berithos

Postby Anu Daviau » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Anu Daviau

Postby Anu Daviau » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:29 pm

And sure, Seawolf Marine also has a mainstore on.....Wetheral, I believe, was the sim's name....See Verkin Raven's profile for slurl.
Anu Daviau

Postby Surfwidow Beaumont » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:41 am

THANKS for the mention n plug X Naeve Rossini - I appreciate it :)))Xxx
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Boogdolt/112/114/22 right below that sign ;)PPPXXx ;)XXX ;)PXxx
Second Life Sailing Film Crew
Video Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/SecondLifeSailing
Alternate Link when YT plays silly buggers
http://surfwidow.blip.tv/#1714779
Blog
http://surfwidowsweb.blogspot.com/
Surfwidow Beaumont

Return to General Discussion